Monday, August 16, 2010

Zip tie light? Yes please.

I am a big follower of the Better Homes and Gardens "Do it Yourself" magazine. It's one of my go to's for ideas and tips that won't break your wallet or make you feel like you somehow have regressed in your mental functioning capability. The Fall 2009 magazine to this date is one of my favorites. I have done many, many projects just from that one magazine. The super star project (in my opinion of course) was the zip tie light. I will say it was a rather monotonous project, but a few evenings spent with it and some chick flicks proved to be worth it. It's a mood lighting fixture, so if your wanting something to read by, this is not the best choice.
The project supplies include: a large bag of zip ties (obviously), a light kit, and a grill grate. You will need a cutting devise of sorts to cut out a hole in the center of the grate to place your light through (I used a Dremel tool). I spray painted the grate white to blend in with the zip ties, but surprisingly there are a wide selection of multi-colored zip ties out there you can go nuts on your color choice. I choose a bag with different lengths to create a more chandelier look. All these supplies can be found at a hardware store or if you are like me, just rummage around your garage or basement and you will find the needed items and then some.
The project ran me about $30. Zip ties are not the cheapest item, a 1000ct bag was about $22, but I had plenty of ties left over for, well, whatever you need zip ties for in real life. The grill grate cost about $7 for a 13in (ish) grate and I lucked out by already having a light kit.

Craft on!

No comments:

Post a Comment